You are here
- Home >
- Wei Zhang
- Professor, Materials Science Engineering
1248 Arthur Adams Dr
Columbus, OH 43221
Dr. Wei Zhang is an Associate Professor at the Department of Materials Science and Engineering - Welding Engineering Program in The Ohio State University. He is also a Core Faculty for The Simulation Innovation and Modeling Center (SIMCenter).
Prior to coming to OSU in January 2013, he worked as a Senior Researcher at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) from 2008-2012 and as an Engineer Team Leader at the Edison Welding Institute (EWI) from 2004-2008. He earned his Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from the Pennsylvania State University in Spring 2004. His B.S. and M.S. in Materials Science and Engineering were both earned at the Huazhong University of Science and Technology in China.
Dr. Zhang’s research fields at OSU are focused on:
- Integrated computational materials engineering (ICME) for welding and additive manufacturing
- Material constitutive behavior under extreme deformation and temperature conditions
- Neutron and synchrotron X-ray diffraction of phase transformations
Please visit Dr. Zhang’s website for more information:
Fellow of American Welding Society.
2018 Lumley Research Award.
2017 Henry Granjon Prize for a best paper in Category B: Materials Behaviour and Weldability.
Adams Memorial Membership Award in recognition of teaching activities that have advanced the knowledge of welding at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Koichi Masubuchi Award for significant contributions to the advancement of science and technology of materials joining through research and development.
UT-Battelle Significant Event Award from for significant research accomplishment by a research team.
Henri Granjon Prize for the best paper in the category of Joining and Fabrication Technology.
William Spraragen Memorial Award for best paper published in Welding Journal.
Graduate Fellowship Award for Outstanding Graduate Research.
Kenneth Easterling Best Paper Award for the best paper presented at International Seminar Numerical Analysis of Weldability.
Kennametal Fellowship Award for Outstanding Graduate Research.
- 2018. "Physics of Welding and Cutting, updated and revised from the chapter of the same title, 2001." In Welding Handbook Volume 1: Welding Technology,
- 2011. "Modeling of Heat and Mass Transfer in Fusion Welding." In ASM Handbook, Volume 6A Welding Fundamentals and Processes, edited by T. Lienert, T. Siewert, S. Babu, and V. Acoff,
- 2011. "Fluid Flow Phenomena during Welding, updated and revised from the chapter of the same title by C.R. Heiple and P. Burgardt, 1993." In ASM Handbook, Volume 6A Welding Fundamentals and Processes,
- Borchers, T.E.; Seid, A.; Shafer, P.; Zhang, W., 2018, "Exacerbated stress corrosion cracking in arc welds of 7xxx aluminum alloys: Henry Granjon prize 2017 winner Category B: Materials Behaviour and Weldability." Welding in the World 62, no. 4, 783-792 - 783-792.
- Wu, S.J.; Gao, H.M.; Zhang, W.; Zhang, Y.M., 2018, "Measurement of Calibrated Recursive Analytic in the Gas Tungsten Arc Weld Pool Model." WELDING JOURNAL 97, no. 4, 108S-119S - 108S-119S.
- Lee, Y.S.; Nandwana, P.; Zhang, W., 2018, "Dynamic simulation of powder packing structure for powder bed additive manufacturing." INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ADVANCED MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY 96, no. 1-4, 1507-1520 - 1507-1520.
- DebRoy, T.; Wei, H.L.; Zuback, J.S.; Mukherjee, T. et al., 2018, "Additive manufacturing of metallic components – Process, structure and properties." Progress in Materials Science 92, 112-224 - 112-224.
- Mukherjee, T.; Zuback, J.S.; Zhang, W.; DebRoy, T., 2018, "Residual stresses and distortion in additively manufactured compositionally graded and dissimilar joints." Computational Materials Science 143, 325-337 - 325-337.
- Semiatin, S.L.; Mahaffey, D.W.; Tung, D.J.; Zhang, W. et al., 2017, "A Comparison of the Plastic-Flow Response of a Powder-Metallurgy Nickel-Base Superalloy Under Nominally-Isothermal and Transient-Heating Hot-Working Conditions." Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 48, no. 4, 1864-1879 - 1864-1879.
- DebRoy, T.; Zhang, W.; Turner, J.; Babu, S.S., 2017, "Building digital twins of 3D printing machines." Scripta Materialia 135, 119-124 - 119-124.
- Borchers, T.E.; Peer, A.J.; Zhang, W., 2017, "Solute Enrichment in the Fused-Overlap Zone of High-Strength Aluminum Welds." WELDING JOURNAL 96, no. 7, 229S-240S - 229S-240S.
- Mukherjee, T.; Zhang, W.; DebRoy, T., 2017, "An improved prediction of residual stresses and distortion in additive manufacturing." COMPUTATIONAL MATERIALS SCIENCE 126, 360-372 - 360-372.
- Wu, S.; Gao, H.; Zhang, W.; Zhang, Y.M., 2017, "Analytic Weld Pool Model Calibrated by Measurements - Part 2: Verification and Robustness." WELDING JOURNAL 96, no. 7, 250S-257S - 250S-257S.
- Wu, S.; Gao, H.; Zhang, W.; Zhang, Y.M., 2017, "Analytic Weld Pool Model Calibrated by Measurements - Part 1: Principles." WELDING JOURNAL 96, no. 6, 193S-202S - 193S-202S.
- Senkov, O.N.; Mahaffey, D.W.; Tung, D.J.; Zhang, W. et al., 2017, "Efficiency of the Inertia Friction Welding Process and Its Dependence on Process Parameters." METALLURGICAL AND MATERIALS TRANSACTIONS A-PHYSICAL METALLURGY AND MATERIALS SCIENCE 48A, no. 7, 3328-3342 - 3328-3342.
- Lu, Y.; Song, H.; Taber, G.A.; Foster, D.R. et al., 2016, "In-situ measurement of relative motion during ultrasonic spot welding of aluminum alloy using Photonic Doppler Velocimetry." JOURNAL OF MATERIALS PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY 231, 431-440 - 431-440.
- Lee, Y.S.; Zhang, W., 2016, "Modeling of heat transfer, fluid flow and solidification microstructure of nickel-base superalloy fabricated by laser powder bed fusion." Additive Manufacturing 12, 178-188 - 178-188.
- Prabhu, A.W.; Vincent, T.; Chaudhary, A.; Zhang, W. et al., 2015, "Effect of microstructure and defects on fatigue behaviour of directed energy deposited Ti-6Al-4V." SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY OF WELDING AND JOINING 20, no. 8, 659-669 - 659-669.
- Borchers, T.E.; Seid, A.; Babu, S.S.; Shafer, P. et al., 2015, "Effect of filler metal and post-weld friction stir processing on stress corrosion cracking susceptibility of Al-Zn-Mg arc welds." SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY OF WELDING AND JOINING 20, no. 6, 460-467 - 460-467.
- Borchers, T.E.; McAllister, D.P.; Zhang, W., 2015, "Macroscopic Segregation and Stress Corrosion Cracking in 7xxx Series Aluminum Alloy Arc Welds." Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 46, no. 5, 1827-1833 - 1827-1833.
- Qiao, D.X.; Yu, X.H.; Zhang, W.; Yu, P.C. et al., 2014, "Thermal recovery of plastic deformation in dissimilar metal weld." Materials Science Forum 783-786, 2857-2862 - 2857-2862.
- Chen, J.; Zhang, W.; Feng, Z.; Cai, W., 2014, "Determination of thermal contact conductance between thin metal sheets of battery tabs." International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 69, 473-480 - 473-480.
- Lim, Y.C.; Sanderson, S.; Mahoney, M.; Yu, X. et al., 2014, "Characterization of Multilayered Multipass Friction Stir Weld on ASTM A572 G50 Steel." WELDING JOURNAL 93, no. 12, 443S-450S - 443S-450S.
- Qiao, D.; Zhang, W.; Pan, T-Y.; Crooker, P. et al., 2013, "Evaluation of residual plastic strain distribution in dissimilar metal weld by hardness mapping." SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY OF WELDING AND JOINING 18, no. 7, 624-630 - 624-630.
- Ohriner, E.K.; Zhang, W.; Ulrich, G.B., 2012, "Analysis of abrasive blasting of DOP-26 iridium alloy." International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials 35, 122-126 - 122-126.
- Wang, X-L.; An, K.; Cai, L.; Feng, Z. et al., 2012, "Visualizing the chemistry and structure dynamics in lithium-ion batteries by in-situ neutron diffraction." Scientific Reports 2,
- Yu, Z.; Zhang, W.; Choo, H.; Feng, Z., 2012, "Transient Heat and Material Flow Modeling of Friction Stir Processing of Magnesium Alloy using Threaded Tool." Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 43, no. 2, 724-737 - 724-737.
- Zhang, W.; Feng, Z.; Crooker, P., 2011, "Improved procedure for computing residual stresses from neutron diffraction data and its application to multipass dissimilar welds." Science and Technology of Welding and Joining 16, no. 3, 254-260 - 254-260.
- Du, Y.; Zhang, W.; Whitten, W.; Li, H. et al., 2010, "Membrane-Extraction Ion Mobility Spectrometry for in Situ Detection of Chlorinated Hydrocarbons in Water." Analytical Chemistry 82, no. 10, 4089-4096 - 4089-4096.
- Zhang, W.; Du, Y.; Feng, Z.; Xu, J., 2010, "Transport modeling of membrane extraction of chlorinated hydrocarbon from water for ion mobility spectrometry." International Journal for Ion Mobility Spectrometry 13, no. 2, 65-71 - 65-71.
- Zhang, W.; Yang, Y-P., 2009, "DEVELOPMENT AND APPLICATION OF ON-LINE WELD MODELLING TOOL." WELDING IN THE WORLD 53, no. 1-2, 67-75 - 67-75.
- Elmer, J.W.; Palmer, T.A.; Zhang, W.; DebRoy, T., 2008, "Time resolved X-ray diffraction observations of phase transformations in transient arc welds." SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY OF WELDING AND JOINING 13, no. 3, 265-277 - 265-277.
- Zhang, W., 2006, "Henry granjon prize competition 2006 co-winner, category A "joining and fabrication technology" numerical modelling of heat transfer, fluid flow and microstructural evolution during fusion welding of alloys." Welding in the World 50, no. 9-10, 12-22 - 12-22.
- Zhang, W.; Elmer, J.W.; DebRoy, T., 2005, "Integrated modelling of thermal cycles, austenite formation, grain growth and decomposition in the heat affected zone of carbon steel." SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY OF WELDING AND JOINING 10, no. 5, 574-582 - 574-582.
- Zhang, W.; DebRoy, T.; Palmer, T.A.; Elmer, J.W., 2005, "Modeling of ferrite formation in a duplex stainless steel weld considering non-uniform starting microstructure." ACTA MATERIALIA 53, no. 16, 4441-4453 - 4441-4453.
- Kumar, A.; Zhang, W.; DebRoy, T., 2005, "Improving reliability of modelling heat and fluid flow in complex gas metal arc fillet welds - part I: an engineering physics model." JOURNAL OF PHYSICS D-APPLIED PHYSICS 38, no. 1, 119-126 - 119-126.
- Kumar, A.; Zhang, W.; Kim, C.H.; DebRoy, T., 2005, "A Smart Bi-Directional Model of Heat Transfer and Free Surface Flow in Gas-Metal-Arc Fillet Welding for Practising Engineers." Welding in the World 49, no. 9-10, 32-48 - 32-48.
- Elmer, J.W.; Palmer, T.A.; Babu, S.S.; Zhang, W. et al., 2004, "Direct observations of austenite, bainite, and martensite formation during arc welding of 1045 steel using time-resolved X-ray diffraction - Phase transformations were tracked in real time using a synchrotron accelerator." WELDING JOURNAL 83, no. 9, 244S-253S - 244S-253S.
- Zhang, W.; Kim, C.H.; DebRoy, T., 2004, "Heat and fluid flow in complex joints during gas metal arc welding - Part II: Application to fillet welding of mild steel." JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS 95, no. 9, 5220-5229 - 5220-5229.
- Zhang, W.; Kim, C.H.; DebRoy, T., 2004, "Heat and fluid flow in complex joints during gas metal arc welding - Part I: Numerical model of fillet welding." JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS 95, no. 9, 5210-5219 - 5210-5219.
- Elmer, J.W.; Palmer, T.A.; Babu, S.S.; Zhang, W. et al., 2004, "Phase transformation dynamics during welding of Ti-6Al-4V." JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS 95, no. 12, 8327-8339 - 8327-8339.
- Elmer, J.W.; Palmer, T.A.; Zhang, W.; Wood, B. et al., 2003, "Kinetic modeling of phase transformations occurring in the HAZ of C-Mn steel welds based on direct observations." ACTA MATERIALIA 51, no. 12, 3333-3349 - 3333-3349.
- Zhang, W.; Roy, G.G.; Elmer, J.W.; DebRoy, T., 2003, "Modeling of heat transfer and fluid flow during gas tungsten arc spot welding of low carbon steel." JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS 93, no. 5, 3022-3033 - 3022-3033.
- Kim, C.H.; Zhang, W.; DebRoy, T., 2003, "Modeling of temperature field and solidified surface profile during gas-metal arc fillet welding." JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS 94, no. 4, 2667-2679 - 2667-2679.
- Zhang, W.; Elmer, J.W.; DebRoy, T., 2002, "Kinetics of ferrite to austenite transformation during welding of 1005 steel." SCRIPTA MATERIALIA 46, no. 10, 753-757 - 753-757.
- Zhang, W.; Elmer, J.W.; DebRoy, T., 2002, "Modeling and real time mapping of phases during GTA welding of 1005 steel." MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING A-STRUCTURAL MATERIALS PROPERTIES MICROSTRUCTURE AND PROCESSING 333, no. 1-2, 320-335 - 320-335.
- "Physics-based Model for Laser Additive Manufacturing - Needs for Material Property Data and in-situ Experimental Measurement." 2017, Presented at NIST Instrumented Laser Joining Workshop,
- "Simulation of Deformation and Fracture Behaviors in Resistance Spot Weld of Advanced High-Strength Steel." 2017, Presented at 70th IIW International Conference,
- "Meso-scale Modeling of Formation of Balling Defect in Laser-Powder Bed Fusion Additive Manufacturing." 2017, Presented at Materials Science & Engineering Seminar, Youngstown State University,
- "Empowering Students with Computational Modeling Tools for Welding Design and Analysis." 2016, Presented at AWS Adams Memorial Lecture,
- "Meso-scale modeling of formation of balling defect in laser-powder bed fusion additive manufacturing." 2016, Presented at 10th International Conference on Trends in Welding Research,
- "Numerical Modeling of Welding and Additive Manufacturing." 2016, Presented at AWS Workshop on Welding of Advanced Materials,
- "Light Automotive Structures – Welding and Analysis." 2017, Presented at AWS Workshop on Welding/Joining Advanced Materials for the Automotive Industry,
- "Effect of Alloying Elements in Determination of Melt Pool Characteristics." 2015, Presented at TMS Workshop on Simulation of Additive Manufacturing Technologies,
- "Neutron Diffraction: Experiments and Simulation of Residual Stresses in Directed Metal Deposition and Welding Processes." 2015, Presented at TMS Workshop on Simulation of Additive Manufacturing Technologies,
- "Toward an Improved Understanding of Weldability of Advanced Structural Materials." 2015, Presented at International Symposium on Advanced Manufacture Technology in Aerospace,
- "Welding and Additive Manufacturing of Advanced Structural Metals." 2014, Presented at OSU Materials Week Conference,
- "Multiphysics Modeling of Welding Processes - Challenges and Opportunities for Widespread Deployment in Industry." 2014, Presented at NIST Seminar,
- "Integrated Computational Materials Engineering of Welding Processes and Welded Materials." 2013, Presented at Colloquium at Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Pennsylvania State University,
- "RSW of Advanced and Dissimilar Automotive Materials - Case Studies." 2018, Presented at 5th Lightweight Materials and EV Body Structures Manufacturing Technologies Summit,
- "Formation and mitigation of stress corrosion cracking in MIG welded 7xxx series aluminum alloys." 2017, Presented at Automotive Circle Conference "Insight @ Honda R&D Americas, Inc. 2017”,
Papers in Proceedings
- Yang, Y.P.; Huang, T.D.; Scholler, S.; Dull, R. et al. "Weld residual stress measurement on ship structures." (1 2018).
- Yang, Y.P.; Dull, R.; Huang, T.D.; Rucker, H. et al. "DEVELOPMENT OF WELD RESIDUAL STRESS MEASUREMENT METHOD FOR PRIMED STEELS." in ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference. (1 2017).
- Huang, T.D.; Zhang, W. "ICME and Cost Models Development for Ship Production." in 2017 SNAME Maritime Convention. (1 2017).
- Lu, Y.; Peer, A.; Abke, T.; Kimchi, M. et al. "Heat-Affected Zone Microstructure and Local Constitutive Behaviors of Resistance Spot Welded Hot-Stamped Steel." in Sheet Metal Welding Conference XVII. (10 2016).
- Andrea Peer, Ying Lu, Tim Abke, Menachem Kimchi, and Wei Zhang "Deformation Behaviors of Subcritical Heat-affected Zone of Ultra-high Strength Steel Resistance Spot Welds." in 9th International Seminar & Conference on Advances in Resistance Spot Welding. (3 2016).
- Borchers, T.E.; Zhang, W. "Fused-Overlap Zone in Aluminum Arc Welds: Tendency of Formation and Effect on Corrosion." in 10th International Conference on Trends in Welding Research. (10 2016).
- Li, Y.; Zhang, W.; Lee, Y.; Marchal, J. et al. "Meso-scale modeling of formation of balling defect in laser-powder bed fusion additive manufacturing." in 10th International Conference on Trends in Welding Research. (10 2016).
- Huang, T.D.; Harbison, M.; Scholler, S.; Zhang, W. et al. "Robust Distortion Control Methods and Implementation for Construction of Lightweight Metallic Structures." in 2016 SNAME Maritime Convention. (11 2016).
- Zhang, K.; Enneking, J.A.; Grimmett, B.B.; Zhang, W. "Toward an improved understanding of effect of linear heat input on heat-affected zone tempering in temper bead welding." (1 2016).
- T. E. Borchers, A. Seid, Wei Zhang, P. Shafer, S. S. Babu and D. H. Phillips "Stress Corrosion Cracking Susceptibility of Gas Metal Arc Welded 7xxx Series Aluminum Alloys." in Sheet Metal Welding Conference XVI. (10 2014).
- Qiao, D.X.; Yu, X.H.; Zhang, W.; Yu, P.C. et al. "Thermal recovery of plastic deformation in dissimilar metal weld." (1 2014).
- Qiao, D.; Feng, Z.; Zhang, W.; Wang, Y. et al. "MODELING OF WELD RESIDUAL PLASTIC STRAIN AND STRESS IN DISSIMILAR METAL BUTT WELD IN NUCLEAR REACTORS." in ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference (PVP-2013). (1 2014).
- Zhang, W.; Miller, R.G. "Theoretical assessment of dissimilar metal joint of titanium to stainless steel." (7 2013).
- Chen, J.; Zhang, W.; Yu, Z.; Feng, Z. "Automated spot weld inspection using infrared thermography." (7 2013).
- Yu, Z.; Feng, Z.; An, K.; Zhang, W. et al. "In-situ neutron diffraction study of non-equilibrium phase transformation in advanced high-strength steels." (7 2013).
- Lim, Y.C.; Sanderson, S.; Mahoney, M.; Qiao, D. et al. "Mechanical properties and microstructural characterization of a multilayered multipass friction stir weld in steel." (4 2013).
- Yu, Z.; Feng, Z.; An, K.; Zhang, W. et al. "Measurement of steel phase transformation kinetics by dilatometry and in-situ neutron diffraction - A comparative study." (7 2013).
- Chen, J.; Zheng, L.; Feng, Z.; Zhang, W. et al. "Prediction of material thermal properties and beam-particle interaction in meso-scale during electron beam additive manufacturing." (12 2013).
- Song, H.Y.; Zhang, W.; Babu, S.S.; Feng, Z. "Toward understanding of mechanical property degradation of steel welds in high-pressure hydrogen transmission pipeline - Role of microstructure." (7 2013).
- Yong Chae Lim, Samuel Sanderson, Murray Mahoney, Dongxiao Qiao, Yanli Wang, Wei Zhang and Zhili Feng "Mechanical Properties and Microstructural Characterization of a Multilayered Multipass Friction Stir Weld in Steel." (5 2013).
- Chen, J.; Zhang, W.; Yu, Z.; Feng, Z. et al. "Determination of thermal contact conductance of metal tabs for battery ultrasonic welding process." (7 2013).
- Wei Zhang, Fei Ren, Zhli Feng, Jy-An Wang, Maan Jawad, Michael Kelly, and Fariborz Vossoughi "Design Analysis of Steel Concrete Composite Vessel for Stationary Storage of High-Pressure Hydrogen." (12 2012).
- Yu, Z.; Choo, H.; Zhang, W.; Feng, Z. et al. "Influence of friction-stir-welding parameters on texture and tensile behavior." (12 2011).
- Wang, J.J.A.; Ren, F.; Zhang, W.; Feng, Z. et al. "Development of in situ techniques for torsion and tension testing in hydrogen environment." (12 2011).
- Sabau, A.S.; Wright, I.G.; Zhang, W.; Bruce, B.P. et al. "Temperature evolution and oxide growth in waterwall tubes of supercritical units." in International Conference on Boiler Tube & Heat Recovery Steam Generator Tube Failures and Inspections. (4 2011).
- Zhang, W.; Feng, Z.; Wang, J.A. "Measurement of fracture toughness of materials with non-uniform microstructure based on spiral notch torsion test." (12 2010).
- Boring, M.A.; Zhang, W.; Bruce, W.A. "Improved burnthrough prediciton model for in-service welding applications." (10 2009).
- Woo, W.; Chinc, C.W.; Fenga, Z.; Wang, H. et al. "Application of infrared imaging for quality inspection in resistance spot welds." (9 2009).
- Yang, Y.P.; Zhang, W.; Gan, W.; Khurana, S. et al. "Online software tool for predicting weld residual stress and distortion." (12 2008).
- Zhang, W.; Gan, W.; Yang, Y.; Khurana, S.P. et al. "Integrated computational modeling for fabrication and service life extension of pipe and tube for energy applications." (12 2007).
- Babu, S.S.; Yang, Y.P.; Zhang, W.; Khurana, S. "Integrated Modeling of Process, Microstructure and Performance: An Application to the Study of Weld-Cracking in Nickel Base Superalloys." in 17th AeroMat Conference & Exposition. (1 2006).
- Wei Zhang, T. A. Palmer, J. W. Elmer and T. DebRoy "Ferrite Formation in a Duplex Stainless Steel during Controlled Heating: X-ray Diffraction and Modeling Using Para-equilibrium Diffusion Kinetics." in 7th International Conference on Trends in Welding Research. (5 2005).
- A. Kumar, W. Zhang, C.-H. Kim and T. DebRoy "A Smart Bi-directional Model of Heat Transfer and Free Surface Flow in Gas Metal Arc Fillet Welding for Practicing Engineers." in International Seminar on Numerical Analysis of Weldability. (1 2005).
- Elmer, J.W.; Palmer, T.A.; Babu, S.S.; Zhang, W. et al. "In-situ Observations of Phase Transformations in the Fusion Zone of Ti-6Al-4V Alloy Transient Welds using Synchrotron Radiation." in Proceedings of 7th International Seminar on Numerical Analysis of Weldability. (9 2005).
- Elmer, J.W.; Palmer, T.A.; Zhang, W.; DebRoy, T. "Advanced techniques for in-situ monitoring of phase transformations during welding using synchrotron-based x-ray diffraction." (12 2005).
- Debroy, T.; Zhao, H.; Zhang, W.; Roy, G.G. "Weld pool heat and fluid flow in probing weldment characteristics." in 6th International Seminar on Numerical Analysis of Weldability. (1 2002).
- Zhang, W.; DebRoy, T. "Modeling of Solidified Free Surface Profile during GMA Welding." in Mathematical Modeling and Information Technology in Welding and Related Processes. (8 2002).
- Wei Zhang, J. W. Elmer and T. DebRoy "Modeling and real time mapping of phases during GTA welding of 1005 steel." in 6th International Conference on Trends in Welding Research. (4 2002).
- Warren, J.; Das, S.; Zhang, W. "Manufacturing Process Modeling of 100-400 kWe Combined Heat and Power Stationary Fuel Cell Systems." in 10th International Conference on Fuel Cell Science, Engineering and Technology.
- Yang, Y.P.; Zhang, W.; Bohr, J.; Kimchi, M. "Development of Online Weld Modeling Tool for Automotive Applications." in 2009 International Automotive Body Congress.
- S. S. Babu, C. Conrardy, S. P. Khurana, Wei Zhang and W. Gan. "Remote High-Performance Computing Material Joining and Material Forming Modeling System and Method." Patent number: US 8,301,286 B2
- "Hydrogen Storage Container."
- "Welding methods including formation of an intermediate joint using a solid state welding process."
- "Systems and Methods for Determining Efficiency of Friction Welding Process."
- "Welding methods and welded joints for joining high-strength aluminum alloys."
- "Powder Packing for Additive Manufacturing Modeling."