Material / Joint Performance
The projects that fall under this thrust area have an emphasis on material / joint performance.
Our Research Efforts on Material / Joint Performance
Focus is on the understanding and optimization of welded/printed materials performance when exposed to industry service environments. Assess using a multitude of variables including: material composition, welding/printing process and techniques, and service conditions. Dynamic material performance includes examination of the effects of strain, fatigue and corrosion. Includes validation and development of models based on experimental results. Goal is to optimize materials, welding, and printing solutions, as well as the code requirements governing industry.
Thrust Committee Chair: Mike Buehner, Technip (OSU mentor) Robert Hamlin, NNRL (LU mentor)
Thrust Committee Co-Chair: Boian Alexandrov, OSU
- Characterization of Friction Stir Welded (FSW) Al Alloys for Aerospace Applications
- Developing the Relationship Between Micro Hardness, Instrumented Indentation, and Impact Toughness in Structural Steels
- Development of Design and Analysis Guidelines for Brazed Joints in Ni-based Superalloys
- Effect of Interstitial Elements on the Weldability of Nickel Base Alloys
- Effect of Niobium on the Weld Metal Toughness of Pipeline Steels
- Exploration and Development of New Technologies for Coke Drum Fabrication and Repair
- Friction Stir Welding for Armor Applications Phase II
- Fundamental Understanding of Microstructure-Micromechanics Relationships of Additive Manufactured Components and Dissimilar Welds through Neutron Scattering
- Stress Relaxation Cracking Phase II Alexandrov
- Stress Relief Cracking and Strain Ageing in 347H and In 740H
- Temperbead Welding
- Thermal-Sprayed Cladding Optimization for Steel Drill Pipes
- Waveform Controlled Gas Metal Arc Welding of Corrosion Resistant Alloys Without Back-Purging
- Zinc Effects of Mechanical Behavior of AHSS Welds
[For Members] In order to access project updates, results, and information, click on the link to box (here) associated with each project.